A native of Staten Island, New York, Bob Tyson is the Strategic Managing Partner of the ﬁrm.
Mr. Tyson is a trial lawyer and author of the #1 best-selling, first book written for the defense to limit exposure at trial, Nuclear Verdicts: Defending Justice for All. In this groundbreaking book, Mr. Tyson sets forth the specific methods to beat plaintiffs’ lawyers and achieve justice. The book is the culmination of an over 30-year legal career, during which he has successfully tried a variety of cases involving complex products liability, commercial and general civil litigation, professional malpractice, environmental, and employment law – representing individuals, corporations, public entities, professionals, and many other different types of businesses.
Mr. Tyson is especially known for his groundbreaking work on Howell v. Hamilton Meats, a case he argued and won before the California Supreme Court. Howell has since been hailed as the most signiﬁcant insurance decision to come down in over 40 years – altering the way California interprets the collateral source rule and impacting the damages a plaintiffs may recover. Mr. Tyson successfully argued an injured plaintiff may only recover the much lower amount that is paid for medical expenses, not the full medical bills, as past medical damages. This difference between what is billed versus paid saves insurance companies and defendants over $10 billion dollars every year. The victory earned Mr. Tyson the California Lawyer of the Year (CLAY) award from the California Bar Magazine, among other awards.
Mr. Tyson is the co-founder of Schaefer City Technologies, an innovative insurtech disruptor developing artificial intelligence products specifically to stop Nuclear Verdicts®. Schaefer City Technologies is answering the #1 question from thousands of insurance professionals: “How do I spot a Nuclear Verdict® on my desk before it happens?”
Mr. Tyson earned his B.S. in ﬁnance from Villanova University in 1986 and his J.D. from Villanova University School of Law in 1989. Prior to founding Tyson & Mendes in 2002, he practiced law at some of Southern California’s largest defense ﬁrms, including Edwards, White & Sooy and Booth, Mitchel & Strange. Active in the community and legal profession, he frequently lectures on a variety of legal issues to business and professional organizations.
In his off time, he enjoys beating partner Pat Mendes at golf and spending time with his three children, Faith, Mary, and Bobby, and wife Jenny. His mantra: Justice for All. As a modern-day poet once said: “You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow. This opportunity comes once in a lifetime, yo!”
- Bob Tyson selected for SD500 – San Diego’s Most Influential November 13, 2023
- Tyson & Mendes Head Talks Contingency-Based Subsidiary October 11, 2023
- The BI Interview with Bob Tyson of Tyson & Mendes July 21, 2023
- Second Annual Nuclear Verdicts Defense Institute Celebrates 2023 Graduates: Tyson & Mendes Trains Attorneys in Its Innovative Methods for Defending Against Outsized Jury Awards June 12, 2023
- ‘They’re Just Killing Us’: Defense Bar Confronts Rise in Nuclear Settlements April 27, 2023
- ‘Look What Texas Is Doing’: States With Biggest Insurance Settlements — And Those Pushing Back April 27, 2023
- ‘$10 Million? You Don’t Blink at That Anymore’: Are Lawyer Billboards Affecting Juries? April 27, 2023
- Nuclear Verdicts®: How Can Insurers Protect Themselves? April 18, 2023
- Keeping Verdicts from Running Away: Attorney Bob Tyson Addresses Nuclear Verdicts® April 13, 2023
- Claims Business: Schaefer City April 13, 2023
- Defense Industry Must Protect 2011’s Howell v. Hamilton Meats September 20, 2022
- Runaway Verdicts: Reversing The Trend July 12, 2022
- Teach Defense Lawyers How to Humanize Your Insureds April 22, 2022
- Talc-ing Nuclear Verdicts™ July 2, 2021
- Hotels Magazine: Stop Saying, “Safety is our Top Priority” May 28, 2021
- Stop Nuclear Verdicts™: Compensate Like Plaintiff Lawyers March 24, 2021
- Stop Nuclear Verdicts™: Abolish the Billable Hour January 7, 2021
- Personalizing Corporate Defendants December 28, 2020
- It Pays To Give A Number October 20, 2020
- Why doesn’t the defense bar share like the plaintiffs’ bar? Money. September 2, 2020
- Stop Nuclear Verdicts® by Giving a Number and Arguing Pain and Suffering! December 13, 2023
- 2024 Property Casualty Claims Seminar – Gen Re March 4-6, 2024
- Motivate, Compensate, Innovate: How to Stop Nuclear Verdicts®! November 9, 2023
- How to Identify – and Prevent – a Potential Nuclear Verdict® August 23, 2023
- Nuclear Verdicts®: Detect and Defuse Them Using Innovation! October 11, 2023