Tyson & Mendes has widespread expertise in defending and consulting with governmental and public entities. Drawing on years of experience and a comprehensive knowledge base, we possess the know-how to guide governmental and public entities through a variety of legal matters.
Our history representing governmental and public entities runs deep across our practice areas. Tyson & Mendes attorneys have handled Professional Malpractice, Employment, Property Disputes, Product Liability, Personal Injury, Business Litigation, Toxic Tort, Wrongful Death, Sexual Torts, Breach of Contract, and OSHA claims on behalf of a number of entities. The Employment Department has extensive experience representing local, county and state government on a number of tort and Constitutional related matters, including but not limited to, civil rights discrimination, harassment, and unlawful use of force.
Current attorneys have defended or been employed by the following:
- State of Arizona
- City of San Diego
- City of Sacramento
- County of Sacramento
- California Attorney General’s Office
- Riverside County
- Sempra Energy
- Pennsylvania Attorney General Bureau of Consumer Protection
- County of Los Angeles
- Regents of the University of California
- San Diego Police Department
- San Diego Fire Department
- Irvine Public School District
- Sacramento Municipal Utility District
- California Highway Patrol
- California Penal System
- Department of Social & Health Services
- City of Santa Barbara
- County of Nassau
- Town of Hempstead
- City of New Haven
- County of Rochester
- City of Stamford
- Defended civil rights and discrimination cases on behalf of the City of Sacramento
- Represented the City of Sacramento at disciplinary and disability retirement hearings
- Defended Pitches Motions on behalf of police officers for cities of Sacramento and San Diego
- Negotiated collective bargaining agreements for San Diego Police and Fire Departments
- Provided ongoing general employment advice on hiring and discipline matters to Irvine public school district
- Defended Sacramento Municipal Utility District in Public Employment Relations Board cases
- Defended City of San Diego in Public Employment Relations Board cases
- Represented the County of Los Angeles in premises liability matters arising out of slip and fall incidents at Department of Public Social Services facilities.
- Defended the Regents of the University of California in multiple cases involving major personal injury claims by students.
- Represented the Regents of the University of California in cases filed against University-owned hospital involving trip/slip and fall claims and elevator injury claims.
- Defended the City of San Diego against construction site personal injury claim filed by private citizen.
- Defended the County of San Diego in governmental benefit litigation
- Represented the County of Riverside in a wrongful death matter arising from an automobile accident involving allegations of negligent roadway design and construction.
- Represented public entities and other professionals in litigated disputes regarding building permits for residential properties. One matter focused on the scope and validity of permits issued by the City of Oceanside regarding alleged illegal conversions. Another matter focused on representations regarding interpretations of permits issued by Daly City and the County of San Mateo.
- Defended a public utility in numerous litigated claims, including easement issues, breach of contract claims, employment claims, wrongful deal, personal injury and OSHA matters.
- Represented an entity sued for clearing trees pursuant to a municipality’s easement and governmental instructions.
- Represented multiple entities sued for excessive use of force. Entities included business owners, landowners, lessees, and security personnel.
- Represented individuals and entities accused of all types of defamation.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a defamation matter, plus an award of $250,000 in compensatory damages, $2.5 million in punitive damages, and costs on the cross-complaint. Plaintiff has appealed.
- Represented a property manager in an action alleging violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act.