Susan Oliver is a Partner at Tyson & Mendes’ San Diego office and leads a multi-attorney team. Her practice focuses on catastrophic personal injury defense, employment practices litigation defense, the defense of entity defendants where sexual torts are alleged, including sexual assault and child sexual abuse, and medical malpractice defense.
Ms. Oliver has extensive litigation experience, including representing individuals and businesses in state courts throughout California and in federal district courts. Ms. Oliver finds novel legal arguments and has been extremely successful in positioning cases for summary judgment, including two recent cases where summary judgment was granted, saving her clients over $100 million collectively. Ms. Oliver has experience arguing before the California Courts of Appeal and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal. She is also adept at stepping into large cases late in the litigation process and providing extensive evaluations and readying the cases for a trial and a successful outcome.
Ms. Oliver obtained her J.D. from the University of Iowa in 1992, where she served on the Iowa Law Review and graduated with distinction. She obtained her B.A. from the University of Iowa in 1989, where she participated in the English Honors Program and graduated with distinction. Ms. Oliver is a member of the academic honor society, Phi Beta Kappa. In 2021, Ms. Oliver received Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” for Personal Injury Litigation, the organization’s highest accolade.
In her free time, Ms. Oliver enjoys spending time with her husband and children. She also enjoys reading, traveling, and Hawkeye sports.
- Cayce Lynch, Kristi Blackwell, and Susan Oliver selected for Women of Influence in Law by San Diego Business Journal June 27, 2022
- Tyson & Mendes Partner Named 2021 “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers: Susan Oliver Earns Best Lawyers in America® “Lawyer of the Year” for Personal Injury Defense Litigation March 3, 2021
- Tyson & Mendes Reaches Gender Parity In Equity Partners June 15, 2020
- Tyson & Mendes Wins Sexual Abuse Case with Motion for Summary Judgment in Favor of School District: Los Angeles Judge Finds Elementary School District Not Negligent in Hire or Supervision of Former Employee February 19, 2020
- San Diego Appellate Court Rules In Favor of Omni Resort: Tyson & Mendes Wins Appeal on $125 Million Summary Judgment Win September 13, 2018
- State Supreme Court won’t review dismissal of Poinsettia fire case against resort December 4, 2018
- Hotelier not Responsible for Poinsettia Fire November 13, 2018
- Calif. Jury Finds Hospital Negligent Over Unborn Baby’s Death November 6, 2018
- Jury Finds L.A. Physician Not Liable in $1.7 Million Medical Malpractice Trial November 5, 2018
- August Women’s Initiative Spotlight: Susan Oliver August 6, 2018