Terra Affourtit is Senior Counsel in Tyson & Mendes’ San Diego office. She specializes in high exposure catastrophic personal injury and general liability defense. Ms. Affourtit has experience representing insurance and public entity defendants in a variety of legal matters, including class action tax litigation, tort litigation, personal injury, wrongful death, construction and premises liability, directors and officers, errors and omissions, quiet title and boundary disputes, and civil rights and police liability.
Ms. Affourtit has comprehensive litigation experience in federal and state courts throughout California. She has successfully defended and resolved hundreds of matters for her clients. Ms. Affourtit has secured the defense and complete indemnification of clients on multiple occasions. She has also prepared and argued numerous pre-trial motions that disposed of causes of actions and resulted in significantly reduced exposure against her clients. She has settled many personal injury cases within insurance policy limits in which the alleged damages exceeded the limits of the policy.
Ms. Affourtit graduated from California Western School of Law in 2012. While attending law school, she was a member of the Negotiation Team where she represented California Western in intra-school negotiation competitions. In 2011, she was a recipient of a Distinguished Advocate Award. Ms. Affourtit received her Bachelor of Business Administration, with a focus in Marketing and Human Resources, from Simon Fraser University in British Columbia, Canada. As a varsity softball player, she helped lead her team to a national championship and also competed internationally in Olympic qualifying events with the Great Britain National Softball Team. Prior to attending law school, Ms. Affourtit worked for the Vancouver Whitecaps FC of Major League Soccer.
Outside of the office, Ms. Affourtit enjoys spending time with her husband and daughter. She also enjoys traveling, golfing, and hiking.
- When the Jury Believes Your Injury is Permanent, but Gives You Nothing for It July 1, 2019
- Colorado Case Law Update July 1, 2019
- Arizona Case Law Update April 1, 2019
- Colorado Case Law Update January 7, 2019
- Crying “Bad Faith” December 3, 2018
- The Emotional Distress Catch-22 November 5, 2018
- Challenging the “because of” Theory in ADA Cases May 31, 2018
- Defamation – Immunity Under the Communications Decency Act For Republishers or Reposters Absent Material Modification January 12, 2018
- Stop Burning Your Core! Ensure Your Gym Rats Leave With Contracts December 1, 2017